Good oral hygiene begins as early as your baby’s first tooth emerges. Your child will learn how much importance to place on their dental health by the way you care for these first few teeth. One of the most important aspects of early dental care is the relationship children build with their dentist.
While dental anxiety is common, it is important not to share any fear of the dentist with your child. Instead, delight in the development of each new tooth. Remaining positive as you help your children clean their teeth and prepare them to meet their future dentist can instill a sense of pride in their smile. This leads to good home dental care and helps children become adults who take their dental health seriously.
Five Tips for Confident Dental Appointments for Kids
1) Use the emergence of new teeth as an opportunity for quality time. Enjoy the process of lightly brushing your baby’s teeth and talk to them about how special their teeth. This can go a long way to setting the stage for positive dental experiences.
2) Brush and floss your own teeth alongside with your child so you can monitor and gently improve their technique. Your child may not always show it, but any constructive time spent together is meaningful and is well spent.
3) Avoid expressing your own dental fears in front of your child. This can be difficult but the more positive they feel about their total dental experience, the easier it will be for them to trust their dentist.
4) Provide healthy snacks and drinks. Limit sugary snacks and when they do enjoy the occasional sweet, remind your child to brush right afterward.
5) Prepare your child for their special visit to the dentist and have them seen no later than the age of three. If you have any concerns about their teeth, call the dentist as soon as you notice a problem.
Designs in Dentistry treats children and is committed to earning the trust necessary to deliver the gentle and compassionate care your child deserves. This adds to the trust your child can build and ultimately helps our dentist provide the best care possible.
If you are seeking comprehensive family or children’s dentistry in Folsom, call Designs in Dentistry today!